Saturday, February 1, 2014

The Introduction...

Every good story begins with an introduction, yes? And in this day of fleeting attention spans, it is almost imperative that you, whoever reads this blogpost, knows and cares about who I am, or I may as well never begin this exploit.


My name, is Kym Dominique-Ferguson... Nice to be met by you!


I was born (and currently reside) in Montréal Québec Canada to a Jamaican father and a Haitian mother. If you're not from this city you may not even bat an eyelid when you hear that. However, common knowledge on this island states that Jamaicans and Haitians don't mix. Even though one of Haiti's longstanding folk heroes "Boukman" was actually from Jamaica.

Needless to say, my parents overcame this stereotype of Jamaicans and Haitians not mixing and the fruit of their unison bore me. A little background story to this, I was, if the doctors were correct, never supposed to be born. My mother had an IUD inserted in her when she was young, which is not recommended for women who have not yet had children, this resulted in an infection and the good old OB/GYN to state that "You will never have children..."

And my mom didn't... Not with one of her boyfriends, most of whom went on to have families of their own, had gotten her pregnant. Then... My dad came along. "Just like Magic!" He put the bun in the oven and the rest as they say, is history... Though not quite.

Whatever powers that be had it in for me. After getting through the initial trauma of finding out she was preggo and going through all the motions of that pregnancy, I punch and kick until the amniotic sac bursts and firmly let my momma know, "I want out!"

My dad went with my mom to the hospital, everything was in order, but the doctor informs my mom that I have the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and that she has to perform an emergency C-section. All of a sudden all the classes pregnant women take to prepare for this momentous occasion, the utter decimation of their body, is not going to happen naturally, but under the doctor's scalpel.


I was born healthy on Thursday September 11, 1980 with all of my body parts and functions intact.


Over the course of the next three decades my parents would get married and divorced, move to different countries, and I would attend over a dozen schools from kindergarten to university. During this time period I would go through my ups and downs, but there were some highlights I want to share with you.

I went to theatre school in Jamaica, this would open the doors to poetry and television acting as I landed a role on Royal Palm Estate (Jamaican Soap Opera) on which I reprised the role for two seasons before I moved back to Canada.

As a spoken word artist/poet I have performed on stage across the Western hemisphere of our lovely planet. My erotica being my most favoured performance material. Let's face it, there's nothing like getting up onstage and talking dirty to everyone in the room. It's just phenomenal.

I wear many hats
  • Producer
  • Performer
  • Filmmaker
  • Actor
  • Philosopher (to an extent)
  • Radio host
  • MC
  • Friend
  • Cousin
  • Son
  • Step-son
  • Uncle
  • Rude boy (given to me by some of my craziest friends)
  • and more...
to name a few... And one I am looking forward to wearing one day, god-willing, is father. This is very important to me. This is something I am looking forward to exploring and examing as a topic in my blogposting adventures. I think this sums up vaguely, yet specifically, who I am... I hope I have your interest thus far.

See you on the other side

--
Kym Dominique-Ferguson
The Jamhaitiacanadian

No comments:

Post a Comment