Sunday, January 4, 2015

Album Review: Jonathan Emile - SONGS OF FREEDOM

SONGS OF FREEDOM - Is it reggae? Is it Hip-Hop? Is it RnB? It doesn't matter.

It's Jonathan Emile.

It's SONGS OF FREEDOM.

Have you ever felt truly connected and touched by an artist's work? For example "It was all a dream, I used to read word-up magazine..." How many of us can actually relate to Biggie's words? Have you ever had a dream, then turned it into reality? Or had a dream, but didn't?

Emile is relatable.

Knowing some of what has happened to this cancer survivor does not hurt as the first eight words are a proclamation to his parents "Mama I made it! Papa I made it!" Knowing that his music was his salvation, metaphorically as well as literally. "Radiation hardest five weeks of my life..." anyone who has had a moment when you believe you couldn't pull through, can empathize the pain, struggle and strength in his words.

Sitting and listening intently, to the music just of that first track 'I made it', tells you everything. Perhaps if you're a highly emotional person like myself you intensely feel it in your throat, like that lump right before your eyes begin getting full of dust. Know what I mean?

A geek like myself couldn't help but enjoy the second track about "Heroes". He never calls any specific hero of the past's name, but I can imagine he's actually talking about those martyrs and figure heads of Black history, such as Bob Marley, Malcolm X, Patrice Lumumba, Steve Biko, Martin Luther King Jr, Marcus Garvey, Dutty Boukman and the plethora of those in the pantheon of the struggle throughout our history.

But one line syncretizes the real and the fictitious heroes many of us know and love with a sample from the 1960's Adam West Batman theme song. It made the inner geek in me jump with glee, and the revolution in my soul put his fist up in the air. This is his Hip Hop speaking, loudly.

A couple of songs later, you can (if such is your thing) light a nice spliff, sit under a big mango tree enjoy the 96 degrees in the shade, and bob your head to a Jamaican pulsation. He brings out his roots, singing in the patois of the country of his origin: Jamaica. "Deh pon di journey, all I wanna wish you, is Endless Light." The echoing ripples of his in the background,  the track is asking, no, beseeching you to take your journey, to fulfill your dreams and not let anything or anyone stop you.

Emile's music slips and intertwines between Reggae cool runnings, Hip Hop revolutionary movements and smooth RnB vibrations. He speaks about life, the travesties of today's world, and he makes it personal telling you what he has been through.

I can't help but bob my head over and over to the music.

I think you will too.

"If we don't look inside ourselves, we will never ever find our wealth... LIBERATION!"

Photo by: Etienne Cappachione
Jonathan Emile
For bookings and more information: www.mindpeacelove.com

I hope you appreciated the read.
I appreciate you reading.

Warmest Regards
See you on the other side
--
Kym Dominique-Ferguson
The Jamhaitianadian

No comments:

Post a Comment